Workers who are subjected to sexual harassment in the work place can file a sexual harassment lawsuit. This right was granted to workers by the United States Congress when they passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. However, there are certain steps that must be taken in order to be able to successfully claim your rights for legal compensation. Below are some of the steps to take before filing a sexual harassment lawsuit.
1. Tell the person who is harassing you that you do not welcome their conduct or verbal insinuations about things that make you feel uncomfortable. You must tell them that you want this action stopped immediately. It is important to write down the time and date that you inform your harasser to stop. Be sure to keep a written copy of your notice to your harasser.
2. You should write down the time, date, and detailed account of every instance that you were sexually harassed if it continues. You should also keep a written record of these events. When you contact an attorney about a sexual harassment lawsuit they will want to see these written records so they can use them as evidence in court.read more here!
3. Make sure you understand and follow your employer’s grievance procedure about reporting sexual harassment. A critical element for winning a sexual harassment lawsuit is the fact that the victim followed the proper procedure for reporting the fact of their harassment to their employer. If the employer has no formal procedure to follow, you should still report the harassment to a superior and you should do so in writing. Make sure you keep a copy of the report for yourself as well.
4. The employer has the right to be given time to address your complaint. It is important to give a reasonable amount of time for them to respond.
5. After an adequate amount of time has gone by, if your employer has not responded, you should contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to file a charge of discrimination. This should be done within 180 days or you risk losing your right to sue see it more from http://www.decaturdaily.com/opinion/editorials/una-s-leaders-made-difficult-decision/article_daab0bbc-500d-11e4-9bb1-0017a43b2370.html.
6. The last step is to contact a sexual harassment attorney. It is important to find an attorney that has a good track record for winning sexual harassment lawsuits. Your attorney will go over your case with you and evaluate your chances of winning this kind of lawsuit. In the meantime, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission will investigate your claim and once they have completed their investigation, you will be issued a Notice of Right to Sue.
These steps must be followed in order to file and succeed with a sexual harassment lawsuit. Employees do not automatically have the right to sue for sexual harassment. The above steps must be followed first. When you contact your business litigation attorney they can give you more detailed information on what to do if you are being harassed in the workplace.